Barry Tomalin, one of our consultants for cross-cultural training, offers us an insight into a little tool he has used to record many of the memories of more than 30 years working and travelling in more than 60 countries.
ASSESS – Venice
We went to Venice for our new year vacation. Yes, it was wonderful. Yes, we saw beautiful palaces and galleries . Yes, we ate in some marvellous restaurants. But how do you remember the places you’ve been to? Especially, if you want to recommend them to friends? Before you pack your bags and book a flight, consider taking up an Italian language course. Venice has so much more to offer when you speak the language!
I’ve developed a useful little tool called ASSESS ©. It’s an acronym. It stands for:
A – Arrive
S – Sleep
S – Shop
E – Eat
S – See
S – Souvenirs
It covers all the essentials and you can expand it or contract it on subsequent visits. I have ASSESS for all the cities I’ve visited or worked in over the years.
Here’s my ASSESS Venice as an example. Try it yourself.
ASSESS VENICE ©
A – ARRIVE
- Ideally at MARCO POLO airport and take a water taxi across the lagoon and up the Grand Canal into Venice.
- Leave by VAPORETTO from Hotel Stern (to airport E16 each)
- Book WATER TAXI – (E110 for 4)
S – SLEEP
- Dorsoduro is the nicest part of the city for expats.
- Hotel Stern
- Hotel Centurion, St Maria della Salute
- Canareggio (Jewish quarter)
S – SHOP
- Supermarkets around the city
- Also delicatessens
- RIALTO open fish, fruit and meat market where many Venetians shop for fresh food.
E – EAT
- Cassin del Nobili, Zattere
- Cantinori Antico, Dorsoduro
- Gia Schiava Dorsoduro 992 (opposite San Trovaso church)
- Ostaria al Carmini, Dorsoduro 2894/a
- Montins restaurant, Dorsoduro
- Osteria del Alberto, Calle Giacinto Gallina, Canareggio 5401 30121 Venice
- Ostaria di Rioba , Canareggio
- Ostaria del Ponte, Canareggio
- Trattoria Cea, C Ilo del Pestrin, Canareggio
- Alle Testiere www.osterialletestiere.it
- Corte Scinta www.veneziaristorante.it
- Osteria Antica Stellato – book , espensive
- All’Arco, Calle dell Ochialer, 436 San Polo
- Antica Adelaide Wine bar, (www.anticaadelaide.it)
- Trattoria all Madonna – Rialto – brasserie
- Florians, Paza San Marco, (Try their hot chocolate on a cold day)
S – SEE
- Arsenale (only open during Venice Biennale)
- Traghetti gondola rides across canal (50 c – 3 minutes) Ca’ D’oro to fish market
- Churches – Frari, (San Polo), San Paolo I Govanni (Canareggio)
- Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Dorsoduro
- Accademia, Dorsoduro
- Punta della Dogana (Modern Art Museum, great views of Giudecca and San Marco
- Market in Campo Santa Margherita, San Polo
S – SOUVENIRS
- Grappa, Ham, Pecorino cheese
- Carnival masks
- Murano glass
- Paper products – handmade books
To find out more about SIMON & SIMON’s range of cultural training courses, and how these could benefit your organisation click here – or call us now, on 020 7821 0999