Barry Tomalin, one of our consultants for cross-cultural training, offers us an insight into a little tool he has used to record many of the memories of more than 30 years working and travelling in more than 60 countries.
ASSESS – Venice
We went to Venice for our new year vacation. Yes, it was wonderful. Yes, we saw beautiful palaces and galleries . Yes, we ate in some marvellous restaurants. But how do you remember the places you’ve been to? Especially, if you want to recommend them to friends?
I’ve developed a useful little tool called ASSESS ©. It’s an acronym. It stands for:
A – Arrive
S – Sleep
S – Shop
E – Eat
S – See
S – Souvenirs
It covers all the essentials and you can expand it or contract it on subsequent visits. I have ASSESS for all the cities I’ve visited or worked in over the years.
Here’s my ASSESS Venice as an example. Try it yourself.
ASSESS VENICE ©
A – ARRIVE
- Ideally at MARCO POLO airport and take a water taxi across the lagoon and up the Grand Canal into Venice.
- Leave by VAPORETTO from Hotel Stern (to airport E16 each)
- Book WATER TAXI – (E110 for 4)
S – SLEEP
- Dorsoduro is the nicest part of the city for expats.
- Hotel Stern
- Hotel Centurion, St Maria della Salute
- Canareggio (Jewish quarter)
S – SHOP
- Supermarkets around the city
- Also delicatessens
- RIALTO open fish, fruit and meat market where many Venetians shop for fresh food.
E – EAT
- Cassin del Nobili, Zattere
- Cantinori Antico, Dorsoduro
- Gia Schiava Dorsoduro 992 (opposite San Trovaso church)
- Ostaria al Carmini, Dorsoduro 2894/a
- Montins restaurant, Dorsoduro
- Osteria del Alberto, Calle Giacinto Gallina, Canareggio 5401 30121 Venice
- Ostaria di Rioba , Canareggio
- Ostaria del Ponte, Canareggio
- Trattoria Cea, C Ilo del Pestrin, Canareggio
- Alle Testiere www.osterialletestiere.it
- Corte Scinta www.veneziaristorante.it
- Osteria Antica Stellato – book , espensive
- All’Arco, Calle dell Ochialer, 436 San Polo
- Antica Adelaide Wine bar, (www.anticaadelaide.it)
- Trattoria all Madonna – Rialto – brasserie
- Florians, Paza San Marco, (Try their hot chocolate on a cold day)
S – SEE
- Arsenale (only open during Venice Biennale)
- Traghetti gondola rides across canal (50 c – 3 minutes) Ca’ D’oro to fish market
- Churches – Frari, (San Polo), San Paolo I Govanni (Canareggio)
- Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Dorsoduro
- Accademia, Dorsoduro
- Punta della Dogana (Modern Art Museum, great views of Giudecca and San Marco
- Market in Campo Santa Margherita, San Polo
S – SOUVENIRS
- Grappa, Ham, Pecorino cheese
- Carnival masks
- Murano glass
- Paper products – handmade books
To find out more about SIMON & SIMON’s range of cultural training courses, and how these could benefit your organisation click here – or call us now, on 020 7821 0999